Tuesday 29 September 2009

Ten clues that I am just me (I was going to say international, not just British, not Scandinavian, but actually I meant, just me)

1. I am happy in a climate that is HOT, and under skies that are BRIGHT, and clear, and blue. I stayed away from Britain all those years partly because the climate was so miserable. I'm not sure what happened two years ago ..

2. I am very polite, and will always try to be pleasant to people, and the more so if they are polite to me, regardless of what their social status is. This is because (a) in a country where life is hard it is what people do to survive - it is a kind of deliberate counterfactuality - and (b) bad manners just make people repulsive.

3. I like to laugh, and like to make people laugh, and I think it is very important to see most things as absurd, most of the time. (Because they are.)

4. I am extremely eccentric. I spent much of my life getting here, and I am damned if I am going to damp myself down for pathetic types who get scared looking outside their hobbit holes. The people who speak my language are all equally eccentric or more, and in fact the non-existence of this on these northern shores is one of my chief complaints.

5. I love to read, and I love to learn, which I regard as a beautiful thing. And I regard education as the greatest excitement and its own great reward, not as something cruel to spare children from.

6. I am getting increasingly intolerant of food which doesn't have strong spice in it. I like strong clear flavours, and I've started putting chili in my tea.

7. I just want to eat prawns all the time.

8. I like to be silly, and think silliness is one of the greatest virtues. When you are being silly you are both not taking yourself seriously, which is good for the world, and being very serious about what is important.

9. I don't believe in cultural relativism. Having lived in two, no my god three cultures (British, Egyptian Arab, Danskie), it's clear to me that some things in some cultures are a hell of a lot better than others. Won't go into details in public, though. I get into a lot of trouble. We had freedom of speech in Cairo. We don't here.

10. Having learned how to be friends late in life after a miserable childhood and early life, making and being friends is something I really love to do and miss, dreadfully, here. I am a warm person and love to connect to people. When people blank me out, I retreat into a sort of internal exile to avoid misery. I hope I don't forget how to make friends living in Denmark.

And 11. Having lived in the South for years and years, and found it infinitely more fun and more enriching than the West, I know that real life can involve so much more, and so much more intensity, than the modern Western way of life. Which is a kind of dreadful poverty.

So there.

12 comments:

  1. I LOVE LUCY!

    Don't go changing x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love #5 and vehemently agree!! And after seeing #7, I need to cook for you sometime! Cajun style! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely tag! Just great. I think we sound quite alike!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto to no. 6! I have to spend some time teaching you some good Thai dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post!

    One of my Facebook buddies, Mike Raship expatriated to Thailand. He describes Western cultures as joyless, compared to Thai life. I think that's in essence what you meant as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS Babs, Do you remember *I Love Lucy*? With Lucille Ball? No of course you don't you're, sob, TOO YOUNG (oh my breaking heart) ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. OF COURSE I DO!!!!!!

    I am a big fan of Lucille xxx

    But I WUV OOOOO!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank God. It's ghastly being this old, by the way. I'm older than almost everyone. When did this happen, I want to know. I must have been asleep.

    I've got an I Love Lucy DVD, if you want to borrow. Wasn't disappointed. There's an inspired confusion between an ape and a psychologist.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now, now, you're only a smidgen older than me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, I'm right up there with all you 'oldsters' ;) And am definitely one of those 'don't give a damn' old ladies - especially after living here for 8 years lol

    Khawaga, it sounds like you're definitely kindred just from this post. Though I haven't tried putting chili in the tea . . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Actually it's slightly disgusting. Ginger is better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete