Wednesday 22 April 2009

There are others out there!

So this is my new blog. I hope I'll have some good things to say, not just formless complaining (not that others do that). We have been here for almost two years, but I discovered the expatriate bloggers of DK - even, dare I hope, Århus! - only in the last two weeks. We have all been so lonely. On a good day it doesn't feel that way, but there isn't any doubt that the experience we are having is quite alien. Mark thinks it's the Århus experience, not the Denmark experience. I think Copenhagen would be nicer, and life out in the suburbs makes it worse. It's especially hard on Mark, who grew up in central London and never went outside the Circle Line. But we've spent years growing up the children in an apartment in the bustling heart of the loveliest part of one of the greatest cities on earth. From Zamalek to Risskov! And the Veri Center!! ooh, I can hardly bear to write it.

When we were weighing whether to come, a Danish friend said, There must be interesting people somewhere in Århus: the question is where to find them. Myself, I wish he'd said a lot more. But the thought that I may have found a few - in the bloggers - is making me smile today.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging community! We are very pleased to have you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucy, Welcome to DK and the blogging expats. There are several bloggers in your area, so if you need some addresses, let me know and I'll send them off to you. Wow! 2 years! Congrats.
    best wishes.
    holly

    ReplyDelete