Saturday 13 June 2009

Love outpouring

I (I mean we) are going back to Cairo in four days !! Just for three marvellous weeks, but back to the city I love and back to one of the great multinational metropolises in the world. Istanbul, Bombay, New York, maybe London .. Here are just one or two snapshots of what Cairo means to me:

Beautiful Zamalek streets with my girls walking home from school:



And the counterintuitive street experience:



Gardens, and sun, and colour, and LIFE:



And deep shade and bright light, and people SOCIALIZING:

#

And my Cairo at night:



And over towards Mohandiseen:



And the incomparable Nile:




From our apartment:







The butcher downstairs in the Coop:



Amm Abdu and Ibrahim of the garage:



Ibrahim the rubbish and Ibrahim the garage man (who I quarrelled with for years):



And sitting in their street:




And the shawarma man:





And this isn't even my medieval city, for which I stayed .. I don't seem to have any digital photos of Islamic Cairo, they are all on old-fashioned slides from the 1990s.

Some places on earth just are lovelier than others.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad for you but sad for me..oh how lovely to think of going away to somewhere as interesting as Cairo! Humph. Shall have to use my imagination to the fricking max to be able to weather another summer in DK.

    No, but seriously, am glad for you, and looking forward to seeing your holidays snaps :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! And Im so happy that you get to visit back. You will be back in July I suppose? I am looking forward to the coffee. I met with Kel D today and we talked that I should make Chicken Tikka Masala for the British bloggers- you, Babs and herself to help with the homesickness.
    You are right about the British library room- it has moved to the new building. I am currently working in the Asian and African Studies room that is extremely grand and looks a lot like that picture. We are not allowed cameras into reading rooms so I took that picture to emphasize its grandeur. Unfortunately I found out later that the picture is copyrighted so I had to delete it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chicken tikka masala! My favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, that sounds wonderful! One day I have to get to Cairo and the rest of Egypt. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I'm visiting from MBC. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete