Tuesday 18 August 2009

Denmark blues

One of the few things I really can blame Denmark for in good conscience is people's staggering parochialism. Laila, my 12-year-old, has a school camping trip in two weeks down in the woods near Norsminde, and they need parents to cycle out with them as there is a whole class' worth of over-excited Lottes and Henriks to keep in the right place on the road. And I thought I wouldn't really be able to offer because I am just too strange for those little Henriks and Lottes to accept and that it would create an awkwardness and make Laila feel bad, despite the fact that all the girls have come to our house for birthdays and slept over and met me. And I checked with Laila and I'm right.

What do you-all think about that eh?

5 comments:

  1. Oh man. That would make me WANT to go all the more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danish kids have a hard time with me as well, and 2 little pricks even mocked my accent at the family do last week. I responded very maturely by getting plastered and calling my dad. This country is doing my head in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I mean, the children are the worst. Of course they are, children are always more conservative. But I've lived in other countries (well, one) and take pride in being an international person with friends from all over the globe, and I HAVE NOT met anything like these little Jutlanders.

    And of course it is very painful to be pushed away from your own children by an unaccepting, uninformed culture. I have my own ways of getting my children back, and I will succeed, but to do it I have to shut out the surrounding culture a great deal, and is that optimal? It is NOT. And I never had to do it before. Parochialism thy face is (I'm afraid to say) Danish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only person to call me a lort uddlaender (spelling?) and told me to går ud was a two year old. I hope he gets over his evil twoness fast, as I'm liable to beat that child. Thankfully, I haven't had to see him in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Impressive and attractive posting. I enjoyed it. I think others will like it & find it useful for them. Good luck with your work. ;-)

    Bathmate

    ReplyDelete